1024 pixels max size

Most viewed
TheatreHotel.jpg
Theatre Hotel, Cavendish Street.2092 views1877- License for Alhambra Hotel adjacent to Alhambra Music Hall (Music Hall granted a beer and wine license in 1871) was applied in 1876. Refused. Mr Bell and Mr Atkinson applied for it again in 1877 stating that the hotel had cost £3,000. Granted. Hotel was sold for £7,600 on Friday, May11, 1894. In February, 1924 Mr Vincent McGounce became the first landlord to receive a license for the broadcasting of radio programmes in a public house. Bought by Cases in February 19, 1937 from George Abraham and Maurice Levy.wayne
the_albion.jpg
the albion2082 viewsjoe rush
IMG_0102-Wave-Breaker-B_W.jpg
2043 viewsBlack & White ?...Duncan Cooke
1st-place-duncan.jpg
Terns1153 viewsTerns (First Place)2 commentsyakbut
Furness_Abbey.jpg
(1st place) Furness Abbey952 viewsFurness Abbey Morning LightBryan
IMG_9458_Dragonfly_+1_web.JPG
(3rd Place) Dragonfly920 views2 commentsDuncan Cooke
pilot.jpg
(1st Place) The Last Sortie914 views(1st Place) Shot at Breighton MH434, was built in 1943 and delivered to 222 Fighter Squadron at Hornchurch where it shot down or damaged four fighters in 3 weeks2 commentswayne
Through_the_Tree.jpg
(1st Place) Through the Tree913 viewsBryan
VY8X5039.jpg
Ulverston Dickensian Weekend835 views2 commentsmalla1962
MO2Q1500.jpg
A-10 Thunderbolt809 viewsTaken at Waddington1 commentsmalla1962
kite2.jpg
RedKite768 viewsRed kite taken at Gigrin feeding station wales http://www.gigrin.co.uk/1 commentswayne
(2nd_Place)_moonlight.jpg
Walney channel760 views(2nd Place) Moonlight on Walney channel1 commentswayne
andromeda.jpg
M31 M32 M110724 viewsA reworking of my Andromeda shot, 8 x 30 sec ISO3200 540mm. 2500,000,000 light years away. Andromeda or M31 is on a collision course with our Milky way and is expected to collide in about 4.5 billion years.4 commentswayne
TheMasonsBar.jpg
Masons Arms, 30 Paxton Terrace705 views1861-1968 In September, 1881, Thompsons applied for a spirits license for the Masons stating that the house had been open 20 years. Proposed improvements to cost nearly £2,000. The bench was in favour of the improvements but not the license. Thompsons completely rebuilt the Masons at a cost of £3,500 in 1890. In 1891 a spirits license was requested for the Masons Arms as the rebuilt house with restaurant was worthy of one. It was refused. The Masons stood on the corner of Paxton Terrace and Forshaw Street and it was closed in May, 1968, and demolished.1 commentswayne
mills3.jpg
Salthouse Mills Fire614 viewsSalthouse Mills Fire, 1\6\2008wayne
gasterminal.jpg
Gas Terminal604 viewsGas Terminal1 commentswayne
1970airealbarrow.jpg
Arial view Barrow circa 1970599 viewsArial view Barrow showing Cairds foundry and the old bus depotwayne
IMG_5618.jpg
Breighton Airshow593 viewsBreighton Airshowwayne
Char-fishing-on-Windermere.jpg
Char fishing575 viewsChar fishing on Windermere, first fish for the Queen?1 commentsBryan
kill-one-Commitee1983.jpg
Kill-One Committee Circa 1983550 viewsKill-One Committee Circa 1983. Can anyone name any of the people in this photograph.1 commentswayne
Regal.jpg
Regal Bar, Forshaw Street549 views1867-1992 The Alexandra Music Hall appeared in December, 1867. In December, 1876 The Star Theatre and Hotel were offered for sale by public auction. The bidding reached £6,500 this being below the reserve, the property was withdrawn. The Hotel and Theatre were offered for sale at auction on March 19,1902. Withdrawn at £9,500. Sold privately to Allsopps later that year. As the Theatre’s name changed, so did the Hotel’s to the Tivoli in November, 1902, and finally the Regal Bar in August, 1931. Closed in 1992 and demolished to make way for town centre development, another one bites the dust.wayne
salthouse_mills_grafitti_reflection_greyscale.jpg
Salthouse Mills545 views2 commentscoralstar
carp2.jpg
Carp542 views23lb 11oz common carp from Cavendish dock.3 commentswayne
Railway.jpg
Railway Inn, 2 John Street.538 views1861-1968 Another small town centre pub demolished to make way for the new Market Hall. Wine license granted in 1879. Sold at public auction on November 5, 1902, with a beer and wine license, for £4,200 to Cases who were already tenants. Closed March 31, 1968. Last licensee was George Smith. wayne
RoaStation~0.jpg
Roa Island Hotel, Roa Island Station534 viewsRoa Island Hotel, Roa Island Stationwayne
CriterionBar_Resaurant.jpg
Criterion, 26/28 Cornwallis Street.531 views1884-1971 The Criterion Restaurant was one of Mr Cases Proudest achievements. It was a well conflicted tiled-fronted building with a bay window on the first floor. It had a well appointed bar on the ground floor and a separate staircase leading to the first floor which was fitted out as a first class restaurant. Mr Hiley received a six day license for the Criterion in September 1884. lt’s primary object being to provide lunch and drinks for Town Hall officials, and as a convenient place for private business to be discussed. The luncheon provided was always very good, although by today’s standards probably plain , but it was very well patronised, particularly when it was managed by Miss Owen. As more and more of the restaurants clientele became car owners and thus able to drive home for lunch, and especially when the old Barrow Market was pulled down, trade dried up. Eventually it became unprofitable and the license was surrendered and the place closed down. Closed February,1971. Became an off license. Now reopened as "The Cry NiteClub"wayne
Ashton.jpg
Ashton Memorial529 viewsA shot of chapel island with Lancaster and the Ashton Memorial 18 miles away visible in the backgroundwayne
MarketTavern.jpg
Market Tavern, 21 Forshaw Street.524 views1866-1995 Offered for sale by public auction on January 23,1877, the advertisement stated that the hotel had done capital business for 10 years, during which time it had been ably tended by Mr Skeels, the proprietor. Bought by Cases April 25, 1877. Full license granted 1882. The last landlord was Mr .J.Burns. Demolished in 1995 for another Town Centre "Improvement".wayne
CrownInn~0.jpg
The Crown Inn, 27 John Street.523 views1860-1968. A small town centre house, the Crown was built in 1850 by Richard Helm, who later the same year mortgaged the Crown to Messrs Ashburner and Butler of Dalton in order to raise money to finish the building. It was sold to Cases on Christmas Eve, 1880 by Frederick West. The last licensee was Maurice McCarthy who made great efforts to make the business succeed by providing snacks and pie and peas, especially at lunchtime for workmen. Closed March 31,1968.wayne
DPP_-Robin-0269-web.jpg
Robin515 viewsDuncan Cooke
_O2Q1225.jpg
Blake Street before demolition.512 viewsTaken as they were demolishing Blake Street.malla1962
_O2Q1222.jpg
Queens Hotel Duke Street before demolition.496 views1 commentsmalla1962
SandgateHotelBarrow1908~0.jpg
Sandgate Hotel Barrow 1908496 views1854- In 1893 at the adjourned Brewsters Sessions, Thomas Thompson (no relation to the brewers) had his license renewed after a police objection. In his defence Thompson’s solicitor stated that Thompson and his forefathers had kept the pub for 40 years, since it was first licensed. After some discussion the license was renewed. Like many houses, when the Sandgate first opened it was known as the New Inn. Sold for £4,200 at public auction on August 14th 1901.wayne
Train93.jpg
Furness Railway Engine No 93496 viewsBuilt 1874 scraped 1925wayne
ShipInn.jpg
Ship Inn, Roose.494 views1830- As with most of Barrow’s original eight (1851) pubs, the Ship was a farmhouse that opened for the sale of beer under the 1830 Beerhouses Act. In 1885 the landlady of the Ship, Mrs Clarkeson, died. She had been born in 1837 at the Ship and her parents were Mr and Mrs Hool. The Ship was rebuilt in the 1960’s by Cases.wayne
BayHorse.jpg
Bay Horse, Hawcoat. 493 viewsPre 1850- Agnes Holmes is listed as keeping a beerhouse at Hawcoat in the 1851 Mannix Directory. In 1855 a newly built beerhouse at Hawcoat was advertised for sale in the Ulverston Advertiser. In 1871 George Woodburne is listed as the landlord of the Black House, Hawcoat. (The Kings is also listed, but there is no mention of the Bay Horse). In 1882 the name Black House has gone and the Bay Horse re-appears. Rebuilt in 1927 by Cases. Wine License 1932. Hammonds opened the New Bay Horse on the opposite side of the road in 1966. The Old Bay Horse is now a shop.

wayne
IMG_0016--stote-in-a-hurry.jpg
missed 492 viewsthis is a stoat he came out under the window of the hide at martin mere ,obviously to slow on the speed but i like it 1 commentskingsown
NewInn.jpg
New Inn, 2/4 Franklin Street.489 views1661-1972 Built by William Gradwell. Sold to Cases by Francis Kendall and John Ashburner on April 15, 1873. Prior to 1872 known as the Hammer and Pincers, name changed by Cases. Frank Lappin the last licensee, believed that up until the time of the pub’s closure that the pub was the oldest in Barrow Town, having mistakenly thought the pub was licensed in 1849. closed November 4, 1972.wayne
Ramsden-Dock-Basin-and-lock-1922.jpg
Ramsden-Dock-Basin-and-lock-1922484 viewsRamsden-Dock-Basin-and-lock-1922wayne
CumberlandArms.jpg
Cumberland Arms, 51 McClintock Street.483 views1864-1974 Built by Gradwell. Bought by Cases on November 13, 1880 from Robert Postlethwaite. To Let, apply Cases, in 1882. Closed April 31, 1974. Demolished May 22, 1974. Last licensee was Norman Leach.wayne
scrap1.jpg
Scrapyard480 viewsA farm in the trough of Bowland with a scrapyard full of farming machinery.1 commentswayne
IMG_4657-Furness-Abbey-Black-_-White-version-web.jpg
Furness Abbey469 viewsBlack & White version1 commentsDuncan Cooke
piel.jpg
Piel Island459 viewsPiel Island1 commentswayne
CRW_2164~0.jpg
Chapel Island Morecambe Bay458 viewsTaken from Hoad Monument2 commentswayne
IMG_5203-askem-beach.jpg
askem beach 453 viewsaskem beach from roanhead zoomed in kingsown
Egerton_buildings.jpg
Egerton buildings448 views1 commentsjoe rush
CRW_1501.jpg
looking at you441 viewsmuncaster castle owlkingsown
Snipe.jpg
Snipe Inn, 8 Paxton Street.440 views1860-1962 The land that the Snipe was built on was called Parrock Field and was sold for building purposes on December 5,1859 for £14. The building was erected in 1860 and sold to Hartleys in 1899. The Snipe was closed in November 1962, some time before the other town centre pubs, and was demolished. Last licensee was William Peter Mellor.wayne
nigelwoodfrankwood.jpg
Nigel Wood outside Frank Wood hat shop Forshaw street439 viewsNigel Wood outside Frank Wood hat shop Forshaw streetwayne
phoebeOOB.jpg
Phoebe OOB436 viewsOut of Border shot of Phoebe4 commentswayne
AmbroseHotel.jpg
Ambrose Hotel, 237 Duke Street.436 views1861- In 1888 a large number of people attended a dinner on the occasion of the retirement of Mr Ellis Ambrose, landlord of the Ambrose Hotel. For Sale by public auction on March 10, 1880: £10,500 was the highest bid which was below the reserve and so it was withdrawn. For Sale on January 30, 1884. Owner Mr Frank Worral was retiring. Bought by Cases on May 12,1932. The pub closed in December 2001 only to re-open again later in 2002wayne
_MG_5596-Toads.jpg
Toads429 viewsToadsDuncan Cooke
_MG_9476.jpg
sky one 428 viewsthink he wonted to be on telly2 commentskingsown
IMG_1102-salt-house-pav.jpg
salthouse pavilion 428 viewsthe bingo house on roose rd kingsown
Heron1146.JPG
427 views2 commentsDuncan Cooke
the_travellers.jpg
travellers and frank wood ,s hatshop425 viewsjoe rush
Old_Salthouse_Mills_Barrow-in-Furness~0.jpg
Salthouse Mills now demolished424 viewscoralstar
mad.jpg
423 views6 commentsGlen Corn
woods.jpg
Frank Woods422 views1 commentsjoe rush
WashingtonHotel.jpg
Washington Hotel, Roose Road. 421 views1875- Built by Gradwell in 1874 at a cost of £4,000, the Washington received a provisional license in 1874 and a full license in 1875, when the hotel was opened.Named in honour of 100 years of American Independence, as was the White House. For sale by public auction on September 30,1890, bidding reached £7,100 but was withdrawn as it failed to reach it’s reserve. Offered for sale by public auction on March 27,1896 when bidding again failed to reach the reserve price. Sold privately the next day to Cases for £6,500. Renovated and altered by Cases in 1958. wayne
Steelworks.jpg
Steelworks Hotel, Buecleuch Street.420 views1863- Built by Rawcliffe in 1862-63. The Steelworks 8 year lease was sold by George Waiting (bankrupt) to William Waiting for £265. Rebuilt in 1875. Sold by William Kendall to Cases in 1882.wayne
Train61.jpg
Furness Railway Engine No 61418 viewsBuilt 1866 withdrawn 1925wayne
Train79.jpg
Furness Railway Engine No 79418 viewsBuilt 1873 scraped 1930. A sign reading Siddick junction can be seen behind the train. About a mile and a half north of Workington station was Siddick Junction. This junction provided the connection to the Royal Navy Armaments Depot facility at Broughton Moor. wayne
PrinceOfWales.jpg
Prince of Wales, 23 Ramsden Street. (Now called Costellos)417 views1860- For Sale December 17,1890, free from brewery. Bought by Cases from W. Cottam on August 5 1897, Referred for compensation, property of Cases in 1933. Cases starved off the closure and carried out improvements and alterations in 1937 by buying 2 Paradise Street and extending the Prince of Wales. It was completely rebuilt in 1956.wayne
_MG_5534-Dragon-Fly.jpg
Dragonfly413 viewsHay BridgeDuncan Cooke
Train19.jpg
Furness Railway Engine No 19412 viewsPETTIGREW produced the needful in 1910 when six smart little 0-6-0 side tanks were put to work. They had cylinders 17 1/2 x 24 ins., wheels 4 ft. 7 1/2 ins. dia., and 160 lbs. working pressure. They were numbered 19 to 24 and re-numbered 55 to 60 in 1918.wayne
crellin_st_.jpg
Crellin St.411 viewsjoe rush
Train100.jpg
Furness Railway Engine No 100410 viewsCalled Keekle built 1858 withdrawn 1918wayne
_MG_5592-Dragonfly.jpg
Dragonfly410 viewsDragonflyDuncan Cooke
Market-Tavern-Pub1983.jpg
Market Tavern Circa 1983408 viewsMarket Tavern Circa 1983wayne
Train12.jpg
Furness Railway Engine No 12408 viewsBuilt 1873 scraped 1920wayne
_O2Q1218~0.jpg
Blake Street demolition.407 viewsmalla1962
train50.jpg
Furness Railway Engine No 50406 viewsBuilt 1883 scraped 1928wayne
greens-copy.jpg
greens pies405 views2 commentsGlen Corn
DSC00855-copy.jpg
old, new, dalton rd399 views1 commentsGlen Corn
IMG_7556.jpg
Market Street Dolton 395 views2 commentsBryan
2M0W0218.jpg
Testing new toy with 300f2.8395 views1 commentsmalla1962
Train.jpg
395 viewsNamed Carlisle running from 1855 to 1886wayne
Grange-Edwardian-Lady.jpg
Grange Edwardian Festival388 viewsGrange Edwardian Festival2 commentswayne
Barrow1920~0.jpg
Barrow 1920386 viewsBarrow 1920wayne
Market-Tavern-Bar1983.jpg
Market Tavern Bar Circa 1983385 viewsMarket Tavern Bar Circa 1983wayne
untitled.jpg
Demolition of 9 Arthur St383 viewsExtraction of Wood1 commentsJohn
conversation.jpg
Deep in Conversation381 viewsTaken at the Ulverston Dickensian Festival 2007wayne
watch.jpg
Pocket watch376 viewsPocket watch, from the club tabletop night.wayne
dockmuseum_copy.jpg
dock museum374 viewsjoe rush
ALBION-3.jpg
off the slip ways 373 viewshms albion one of the last slipway launches kingsown
_MG_0449-any-old-track.jpg
barrow rail station371 viewsshot from the wilki road bridge thats the corner of the football groundkingsown
Salthouse_mills_reflection.jpg
Derelict Salthouse Mills370 viewscoralstar
IMG_3654.jpg
Worcester Cathedral369 viewsWorcester Cathedral from the Bridge3 commentsBryan
IMG_0013the-beautiful-demoiselle.jpg
the beautiful demoiselle 369 viewsthats the name of this dragonfly kingsown
IMG_1105-the-harbour.jpg
the harbour hotel368 viewsthe harbour on the strand across from the railway club1 commentskingsown
P1253494.jpg
bridge by night365 viewsGreengate bridge shot on Marsh st1 commentsGlen Corn
town_square.jpg
Town square364 viewsjoe rush
CRW_0430-cabins-and-storm-1~0.jpg
cabins364 viewskingsown
ramsden_square.jpg
ramsden square357 viewsjoe rush
the_watchtower_1.jpg
The Watchtower355 viewsThe custom and excise watchtower Roa Island Bryan
wire_wool_Xmas_043_28988x65929_28800x53429.jpg
354 views2 comments
mills2.jpg
Salthouse Mills Fire347 viewsSalthouse Mills Fire, 1\6\2008wayne
towncentra-fog.jpg
townhall in fog347 viewsjoe rush
IMG_9026-roa-isle-terraces.jpg
the houses at roa island 344 viewsroa island and the lifeboat shed2 commentskingsown
9519 files on 96 page(s) 1