1024 pixels max size


Most viewed - Pictures of Furness
TheatreHotel.jpg
Theatre Hotel, Cavendish Street.2076 views1877- License for Alhambra Hotel adjacent to Alhambra Music Hall (Music Hall granted a beer and wine license in 1871) was applied in 1876. Refused. Mr Bell and Mr Atkinson applied for it again in 1877 stating that the hotel had cost £3,000. Granted. Hotel was sold for £7,600 on Friday, May11, 1894. In February, 1924 Mr Vincent McGounce became the first landlord to receive a license for the broadcasting of radio programmes in a public house. Bought by Cases in February 19, 1937 from George Abraham and Maurice Levy.wayne
the_albion.jpg
the albion2063 viewsjoe rush
TheMasonsBar.jpg
Masons Arms, 30 Paxton Terrace666 views1861-1968 In September, 1881, Thompsons applied for a spirits license for the Masons stating that the house had been open 20 years. Proposed improvements to cost nearly £2,000. The bench was in favour of the improvements but not the license. Thompsons completely rebuilt the Masons at a cost of £3,500 in 1890. In 1891 a spirits license was requested for the Masons Arms as the rebuilt house with restaurant was worthy of one. It was refused. The Masons stood on the corner of Paxton Terrace and Forshaw Street and it was closed in May, 1968, and demolished.1 commentswayne
mills3.jpg
Salthouse Mills Fire602 viewsSalthouse Mills Fire, 1\6\2008wayne
gasterminal.jpg
Gas Terminal588 viewsGas Terminal1 commentswayne
1970airealbarrow.jpg
Arial view Barrow circa 1970579 viewsArial view Barrow showing Cairds foundry and the old bus depotwayne
kill-one-Commitee1983.jpg
Kill-One Committee Circa 1983536 viewsKill-One Committee Circa 1983. Can anyone name any of the people in this photograph.1 commentswayne
Regal.jpg
Regal Bar, Forshaw Street526 views1867-1992 The Alexandra Music Hall appeared in December, 1867. In December, 1876 The Star Theatre and Hotel were offered for sale by public auction. The bidding reached £6,500 this being below the reserve, the property was withdrawn. The Hotel and Theatre were offered for sale at auction on March 19,1902. Withdrawn at £9,500. Sold privately to Allsopps later that year. As the Theatre’s name changed, so did the Hotel’s to the Tivoli in November, 1902, and finally the Regal Bar in August, 1931. Closed in 1992 and demolished to make way for town centre development, another one bites the dust.wayne
salthouse_mills_grafitti_reflection_greyscale.jpg
Salthouse Mills524 views2 commentscoralstar
Railway.jpg
Railway Inn, 2 John Street.521 views1861-1968 Another small town centre pub demolished to make way for the new Market Hall. Wine license granted in 1879. Sold at public auction on November 5, 1902, with a beer and wine license, for £4,200 to Cases who were already tenants. Closed March 31, 1968. Last licensee was George Smith. wayne
RoaStation~0.jpg
Roa Island Hotel, Roa Island Station515 viewsRoa Island Hotel, Roa Island Stationwayne
MarketTavern.jpg
Market Tavern, 21 Forshaw Street.511 views1866-1995 Offered for sale by public auction on January 23,1877, the advertisement stated that the hotel had done capital business for 10 years, during which time it had been ably tended by Mr Skeels, the proprietor. Bought by Cases April 25, 1877. Full license granted 1882. The last landlord was Mr .J.Burns. Demolished in 1995 for another Town Centre "Improvement".wayne
CriterionBar_Resaurant.jpg
Criterion, 26/28 Cornwallis Street.509 views1884-1971 The Criterion Restaurant was one of Mr Cases Proudest achievements. It was a well conflicted tiled-fronted building with a bay window on the first floor. It had a well appointed bar on the ground floor and a separate staircase leading to the first floor which was fitted out as a first class restaurant. Mr Hiley received a six day license for the Criterion in September 1884. lt’s primary object being to provide lunch and drinks for Town Hall officials, and as a convenient place for private business to be discussed. The luncheon provided was always very good, although by today’s standards probably plain , but it was very well patronised, particularly when it was managed by Miss Owen. As more and more of the restaurants clientele became car owners and thus able to drive home for lunch, and especially when the old Barrow Market was pulled down, trade dried up. Eventually it became unprofitable and the license was surrendered and the place closed down. Closed February,1971. Became an off license. Now reopened as "The Cry NiteClub"wayne
CrownInn~0.jpg
The Crown Inn, 27 John Street.498 views1860-1968. A small town centre house, the Crown was built in 1850 by Richard Helm, who later the same year mortgaged the Crown to Messrs Ashburner and Butler of Dalton in order to raise money to finish the building. It was sold to Cases on Christmas Eve, 1880 by Frederick West. The last licensee was Maurice McCarthy who made great efforts to make the business succeed by providing snacks and pie and peas, especially at lunchtime for workmen. Closed March 31,1968.wayne
_O2Q1225.jpg
Blake Street before demolition.486 viewsTaken as they were demolishing Blake Street.malla1962
ShipInn.jpg
Ship Inn, Roose.481 views1830- As with most of Barrow’s original eight (1851) pubs, the Ship was a farmhouse that opened for the sale of beer under the 1830 Beerhouses Act. In 1885 the landlady of the Ship, Mrs Clarkeson, died. She had been born in 1837 at the Ship and her parents were Mr and Mrs Hool. The Ship was rebuilt in the 1960’s by Cases.wayne
_O2Q1222.jpg
Queens Hotel Duke Street before demolition.478 views1 commentsmalla1962
SandgateHotelBarrow1908~0.jpg
Sandgate Hotel Barrow 1908477 views1854- In 1893 at the adjourned Brewsters Sessions, Thomas Thompson (no relation to the brewers) had his license renewed after a police objection. In his defence Thompson’s solicitor stated that Thompson and his forefathers had kept the pub for 40 years, since it was first licensed. After some discussion the license was renewed. Like many houses, when the Sandgate first opened it was known as the New Inn. Sold for £4,200 at public auction on August 14th 1901.wayne
BayHorse.jpg
Bay Horse, Hawcoat. 475 viewsPre 1850- Agnes Holmes is listed as keeping a beerhouse at Hawcoat in the 1851 Mannix Directory. In 1855 a newly built beerhouse at Hawcoat was advertised for sale in the Ulverston Advertiser. In 1871 George Woodburne is listed as the landlord of the Black House, Hawcoat. (The Kings is also listed, but there is no mention of the Bay Horse). In 1882 the name Black House has gone and the Bay Horse re-appears. Rebuilt in 1927 by Cases. Wine License 1932. Hammonds opened the New Bay Horse on the opposite side of the road in 1966. The Old Bay Horse is now a shop.

wayne
Ramsden-Dock-Basin-and-lock-1922.jpg
Ramsden-Dock-Basin-and-lock-1922473 viewsRamsden-Dock-Basin-and-lock-1922wayne
NewInn.jpg
New Inn, 2/4 Franklin Street.472 views1661-1972 Built by William Gradwell. Sold to Cases by Francis Kendall and John Ashburner on April 15, 1873. Prior to 1872 known as the Hammer and Pincers, name changed by Cases. Frank Lappin the last licensee, believed that up until the time of the pub’s closure that the pub was the oldest in Barrow Town, having mistakenly thought the pub was licensed in 1849. closed November 4, 1972.wayne
CumberlandArms.jpg
Cumberland Arms, 51 McClintock Street.469 views1864-1974 Built by Gradwell. Bought by Cases on November 13, 1880 from Robert Postlethwaite. To Let, apply Cases, in 1882. Closed April 31, 1974. Demolished May 22, 1974. Last licensee was Norman Leach.wayne
Train93.jpg
Furness Railway Engine No 93468 viewsBuilt 1874 scraped 1925wayne
piel.jpg
Piel Island448 viewsPiel Island1 commentswayne
Egerton_buildings.jpg
Egerton buildings432 views1 commentsjoe rush
Snipe.jpg
Snipe Inn, 8 Paxton Street.426 views1860-1962 The land that the Snipe was built on was called Parrock Field and was sold for building purposes on December 5,1859 for £14. The building was erected in 1860 and sold to Hartleys in 1899. The Snipe was closed in November 1962, some time before the other town centre pubs, and was demolished. Last licensee was William Peter Mellor.wayne
nigelwoodfrankwood.jpg
Nigel Wood outside Frank Wood hat shop Forshaw street424 viewsNigel Wood outside Frank Wood hat shop Forshaw streetwayne
AmbroseHotel.jpg
Ambrose Hotel, 237 Duke Street.420 views1861- In 1888 a large number of people attended a dinner on the occasion of the retirement of Mr Ellis Ambrose, landlord of the Ambrose Hotel. For Sale by public auction on March 10, 1880: £10,500 was the highest bid which was below the reserve and so it was withdrawn. For Sale on January 30, 1884. Owner Mr Frank Worral was retiring. Bought by Cases on May 12,1932. The pub closed in December 2001 only to re-open again later in 2002wayne
IMG_1102-salt-house-pav.jpg
salthouse pavilion 417 viewsthe bingo house on roose rd kingsown
Old_Salthouse_Mills_Barrow-in-Furness~0.jpg
Salthouse Mills now demolished408 viewscoralstar
WashingtonHotel.jpg
Washington Hotel, Roose Road. 408 views1875- Built by Gradwell in 1874 at a cost of £4,000, the Washington received a provisional license in 1874 and a full license in 1875, when the hotel was opened.Named in honour of 100 years of American Independence, as was the White House. For sale by public auction on September 30,1890, bidding reached £7,100 but was withdrawn as it failed to reach it’s reserve. Offered for sale by public auction on March 27,1896 when bidding again failed to reach the reserve price. Sold privately the next day to Cases for £6,500. Renovated and altered by Cases in 1958. wayne
PrinceOfWales.jpg
Prince of Wales, 23 Ramsden Street. (Now called Costellos)408 views1860- For Sale December 17,1890, free from brewery. Bought by Cases from W. Cottam on August 5 1897, Referred for compensation, property of Cases in 1933. Cases starved off the closure and carried out improvements and alterations in 1937 by buying 2 Paradise Street and extending the Prince of Wales. It was completely rebuilt in 1956.wayne
the_travellers.jpg
travellers and frank wood ,s hatshop407 viewsjoe rush
Steelworks.jpg
Steelworks Hotel, Buecleuch Street.406 views1863- Built by Rawcliffe in 1862-63. The Steelworks 8 year lease was sold by George Waiting (bankrupt) to William Waiting for £265. Rebuilt in 1875. Sold by William Kendall to Cases in 1882.wayne
woods.jpg
Frank Woods405 views1 commentsjoe rush
Market-Tavern-Pub1983.jpg
Market Tavern Circa 1983395 viewsMarket Tavern Circa 1983wayne
Train61.jpg
Furness Railway Engine No 61395 viewsBuilt 1866 withdrawn 1925wayne
crellin_st_.jpg
Crellin St.394 viewsjoe rush
Train79.jpg
Furness Railway Engine No 79393 viewsBuilt 1873 scraped 1930. A sign reading Siddick junction can be seen behind the train. About a mile and a half north of Workington station was Siddick Junction. This junction provided the connection to the Royal Navy Armaments Depot facility at Broughton Moor. wayne
greens-copy.jpg
greens pies392 views2 commentsGlen Corn
Train19.jpg
Furness Railway Engine No 19392 viewsPETTIGREW produced the needful in 1910 when six smart little 0-6-0 side tanks were put to work. They had cylinders 17 1/2 x 24 ins., wheels 4 ft. 7 1/2 ins. dia., and 160 lbs. working pressure. They were numbered 19 to 24 and re-numbered 55 to 60 in 1918.wayne
_O2Q1218~0.jpg
Blake Street demolition.391 viewsmalla1962
DSC00855-copy.jpg
old, new, dalton rd390 views1 commentsGlen Corn
IMG_7556.jpg
Market Street Dolton 387 views2 commentsBryan
Train12.jpg
Furness Railway Engine No 12386 viewsBuilt 1873 scraped 1920wayne
Train100.jpg
Furness Railway Engine No 100385 viewsCalled Keekle built 1858 withdrawn 1918wayne
train50.jpg
Furness Railway Engine No 50382 viewsBuilt 1883 scraped 1928wayne
Barrow1920~0.jpg
Barrow 1920376 viewsBarrow 1920wayne
Train.jpg
373 viewsNamed Carlisle running from 1855 to 1886wayne
Market-Tavern-Bar1983.jpg
Market Tavern Bar Circa 1983372 viewsMarket Tavern Bar Circa 1983wayne
dockmuseum_copy.jpg
dock museum366 viewsjoe rush
ALBION-3.jpg
off the slip ways 364 viewshms albion one of the last slipway launches kingsown
_MG_0449-any-old-track.jpg
barrow rail station363 viewsshot from the wilki road bridge thats the corner of the football groundkingsown
untitled.jpg
Demolition of 9 Arthur St361 viewsExtraction of Wood1 commentsJohn
IMG_1105-the-harbour.jpg
the harbour hotel359 viewsthe harbour on the strand across from the railway club1 commentskingsown
Salthouse_mills_reflection.jpg
Derelict Salthouse Mills357 viewscoralstar
P1253494.jpg
bridge by night355 viewsGreengate bridge shot on Marsh st1 commentsGlen Corn
CRW_0430-cabins-and-storm-1~0.jpg
cabins349 viewskingsown
town_square.jpg
Town square346 viewsjoe rush
ramsden_square.jpg
ramsden square345 viewsjoe rush
the_watchtower_1.jpg
The Watchtower337 viewsThe custom and excise watchtower Roa Island Bryan
mills2.jpg
Salthouse Mills Fire337 viewsSalthouse Mills Fire, 1\6\2008wayne
wire_wool_Xmas_043_28988x65929_28800x53429.jpg
332 views2 comments
IMG_9026-roa-isle-terraces.jpg
the houses at roa island 331 viewsroa island and the lifeboat shed2 commentskingsown
Salthouse_mills_Barrow_greyscale.jpg
Salthouse Mills325 viewscoralstar
fire.jpg
fire324 viewsjoe rush
CRW_5134.jpg
looking the other way323 viewsshot from the slag-bank out of town to the lakedistrict1 commentskingsown
Low-Water.jpg
Low Water319 viewsTaken from the top of Coniston Old Man Low Water in the foreground, Levers water in the background. By the way, the specks in the tarn are rocks, not dust !2 commentsJJ
towncentra-fog.jpg
townhall in fog319 viewsjoe rush
IMG_2234-Schneider-Square-web~0.jpg
The old and the new318 viewsSchneider Square, BarrowDuncan Cooke
CRW_0492-kids-on-the-pier.jpg
the jetty at piel 317 viewsthe kids playing in the tide at pielkingsown
alfred_barrow_school.jpg
Alfred Barrow school317 viewsjoe rush
roa_island_copy.jpg
Roa island315 viewsjoe rush
CRW_5148.jpg
from top of the slag-bank314 viewsshot from the remaining part of the slag bank looking over the town1 commentskingsown
ferrybeach1_copy.jpg
Ferrybeach312 viewsjoe rush
powerstation.jpg
Power Station312 viewsRoosecote power station1 commentswayne
mills1.jpg
Salthouse Mills Fire311 viewsSalthouse Mills Fire, 1\6\2008wayne
wavekhight_copy.jpg
Wave khight in dock310 viewsjoe rush
the_harbour.jpg
the harbour305 viewsjoe rush
st_georges_square.jpg
St.Georges Square305 viewsjoe rush
portland_.jpg
portland walk302 viewsstatue of shipyard crafts workers1 commentsBryan
Salthouse_Mills_garage.jpg
Down the 'Mills'300 viewscoralstar
channelside_copy.jpg
ferrybeach299 viewsjoe rush
greengate-street-copy.jpg
296 viewsjoe rush
Salthouse_mills_Barrow~0.jpg
Mooncats make there mark down the 'Mills'296 viewscoralstar
_MG_7407.jpg
South Walney Groynes294 viewsTaken with a Lee Big Stopper, almost a 2 minute exposure at f/22 at 0800hrs on July 14th 2012.
IMG_1103-the-wash.jpg
the washington arms 291 viewsthe wash on roose rd kingsown
Red_men__1.jpg
Red Men290 viewsStatue of iron ore miners, channel side. Now sadly vandalised. Bryan
IMG_0903.jpg
Closing down290 viewsUlverstons last independent DIYwayne
HeadingHaw.jpg
Headin Haw Island289 viewsHeadin Haw Island, was used by the minning industry to store dynamitewayne
IMG_4234-Edit~1.jpg
Walney Channel288 viewsWalney Channelwayne
fathers_sunset_058_28800x53329.jpg
Ten a Penny Beach shot.288 views1 comments
CRW-0509-FAMILY-STROLL.jpg
walkway at the side of devonshire dock 286 viewsthe new store with the floating night club at the back of the old sail ship the pickle ,the high level bridge and the ddh shed further back kingsown
IMG_8251-roan-head.jpg
roan-head cottages 286 viewsthe sand dunes at roan head 1 commentskingsown
Autumn_Colours.jpg
Autumn Colours285 viewsJJ
IMG_0978.jpg
Green-Nod285 viewsA sign showing the new village of Green-Nod!!!!wayne
IMG_8249-roanhead-to-black-coombe.jpg
acrosss to black combe 283 viewsthe sand dunes and beach at roan head looking across to millom and black combe 1 commentskingsown
IMG_8646.jpg
cocken tunnel283 viewsnot the real tunnel but the one that lead up to the tunnel that ran through the slagbankkingsown
IMG_1592-statue-2.jpg
on the ball 282 viewsthe emlyn hughes statue at the junction of abbey rd and holker st kingsown
IMG_1588-statue.jpg
emlyn hughes statue 282 viewsoutside at last in front of the new biulding at the station junctionkingsown
226 files on 3 page(s) 1